Sunday, June 5, 2011

Beginner's Book Binding Course

I just spend the last two days at the NSW Bindery in Rozelle, learning how to hand bind books... and it was fan-freaking-tastic! The class was taught by a very hip book restorer, John R. Tucker (who was a cool, Gant wearing retiree with a gold hoop in his left ear... too bad he refused to be photographed). The class had seven students (including myself) and it was a busy and focused two days. I was the last to leave today... but I walked out with four, fabulous, finished products in tow! I also met some wonderful people, two of which I've exchanged contact numbers with as we plan to go back to the bindery together. Here's some Photos of the book binding journey -

The first book we made using Japanese book binding techniques. 

Prepared Sections ready to be threaded

Sections threaded, End Pages added, Mull and Spine board adhered

Book Fabric cut and ready for pasting onto the cover

 Cover Board glued onto book fabric

Edges folded over

Book is pressed and drying under brick weights

Block Letter Pressed... the beautiful finished product

Picture of all three projects made over the two days
(The fourth project is current drying in my dining room so cannot be photographed)


So that was my weekend! (JW, if you are reading this and are admiring my beautiful red book, don't worry, your own personalised book is my next project)

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment